The Chelsea College of Art and Design, the erstwhile Chelsea School of Art (1928-2001), is part of the University of the Arts London's six constituent colleges, and one of the world's premier schools of art and design. It offers further and higher education courses in Fine Art, Graphic Design, Interior Design and Textile Design up to Phd level.
The college was originally founded in 1895 on Manresa Road and Chelsea Square (SW3). The area was renowned for many artists and craftsmen who had moved into studios and workshops for the purpose of The Great Exhibition of 1851. The forming of the latterly known 'Chelsea School of Art' was in 1964, an amalgamation with the prior Polytechnic School of Art (previously The West London School of Art). Chelsea later expanded from one campus to four, having acquired Bagleys Lane in 1975, a merger with the Hammersmith School of Art at Lime Grove and lastly Hugon Road in 1981. The college changed its name to the now known 'Chelsea College of Art and Design' in 1986. This shortly happened after the formation of the London Institute, now University of the Arts London. The college has now relocated next to Tate Britain on Millbank in 2004-05, deriving back to one standalone campus.
It is a sister college of the Camberwell College of Arts, Central St Martins, London College of Communication, and London College of Fashion. It also has links with Byam Shaw School of Art and more recently, Wimbledon College of Art.
At Chelsea, students are taught by teachers highly respected in the art world, such as artists Roger Ackling, Neil Cummings, Amanda Faulkner, David Musgrave, and designers Rebecca Early, Dave Beech and Hayley Newman.
Cheslea Space and The Triangle Gallery are on-site exhibition spaces showing work by students and professionals, which are open to the public.