The Meridian Mall is a large shopping complex in Dunedin, New Zealand designed by ASA Crone Architects, an Australian development company. It is the largest retail mall in the southern South Island, and one of the largest in the South Island as a whole.
The mall was constructed in 1995-1997 behind the former Arthur Barnett building in George Street which was designed by Edmund Anscombe (1874-1948) and completed in 1924.The new complex is a central retail hub, with Arthur Barnett as one of the two anchor tenants. It opened on 5 September 1997 with the final development costs close to NZ$50 million. Arthur Barnett sold the mall to ING Real Estate Australia in 2003, using the proceeds to retire debt.
The mall contains 50 shops spread over three levels, including a large food court on the bottom level. The two largest retailers are K-Mart, which occupies much of the top floor, and Arthur Barnett, on parts of the ground floor and the basement level. Above these three levels is a multi-storey car park. The mall is linked to the smaller Golden Centre Mall to the south, and through this will eventually link to the proposed Wall Street Mall, planned to occupy the remainder of the two-hectare central city block.
The neon advertising sign for Arthur Barnett that sits atop the mall is a prominent feature on the Dunedin skyline. Named Can't Stop, it features a small man trying to control a large horse, possibly a Clydesdale. It was designed by the New Zealand artist Heber Thompson for the 1924 building.